Douglas I. Friedman
Mr. Friedman provides counsel on the legal, ethical, and operational aspects of Social Security disability insurance and veteran’s disability compensation. He serves life and health insurers as a trusted resource on marketing practices, regulatory compliance requirements, and the development and introduction of new insurance products. His firm acts as National Counsel for Estate and Business Planning for leading insurers across the country.
Mr. Friedman also advises the owners of closely-held businesses and their families on the estate, gift, and income taxation of their personal affairs and businesses.
Mr. Friedman is a nationally known speaker and author. He lectures on disability issues for insurers and disease-specific advocacy groups, such as the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and the Lupus Foundation of America. His presentations are also offered at the Million Dollar Roundtable and life and health insurers’ annual conventions and educational seminars, such as the International Claims Association annual conference. Mr. Friedman is an editor for the Journal of Financial Service Professionals.
- "Selling in Current Market Conditions," National Underwriter, Life and Health Edition, September 7, 2009.
- "Do Away with Fine Print," National Underwriter, Life and Health Edition, June 15, 2009.
- "Some Practical Things that Advisors Should Know about COBRA," National Underwriter, Life and Health Edition, May 4, 2009.
- "Do People Really Cut Back on Life Insurance During Economic Crises," National Underwriter, Life and Health Edition, June 16, 2008.
- "Professional Designations: The Ethical Issues," (Co-Author), National Underwriter, Life and Health Edition, October 10, 2007.
- "Is Permanent Individual Life Insurance Passe'," National Underwriter, Life and Health Edition, September 24, 2007.
- "Identifying Issues in Todays Single Employer 419 Plans," National Underwriter, Life and Health Edition, February 2, 2007.
- "Tips For Advisors On Estate Tax Uncertainties," National Underwriter, Life and Health edition, Web Exclusives, Published at http://www.lifeandhealthinsurancenews.com, 2010.
- "Buy Sell Pop Quiz Parts 1 and 2," Insurance Company Marketing Magazine, January 2014 November 2014.
- "Key Person Insurance," Insurance Company Marketing Magazine, May 2014.
- "Top Ten Year-End Planning Questions to Ask Your Client," Insurance Company Marketing Magazine, November 2014.
- "The Whys and Hows of an Executive Bonus Plan," Insurance Company Marketing Magazine, August 2014.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alabama Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- National Organization of Veterans Advocates, Sustaining Member
- National Organization for Social Security Claimants' Representatives, Member
- Association for Advanced Life Underwriting, Associate Member
- Social Security Committee of the Federal Bar Association, Vice Chair
Pro Bono Activities
- Legal Counsel, Three Hots and a Cot, Homeless Veterans Domiciliary, 2010-2015
- Birmingham Jewish Community Center, Former Member of the Board of Directors
- Former Member, University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Public Health Advisory Board
- Former Advisory Board Chairman, Cooper Green Hospital
- Former Volunteer Lawyers Program Chairman, Birmingham Bar Association
- Former Board of Directors Member, Former Faculty Member, Alabama Federal Tax Clinic
- Former Member of Board of Directors, Birmingham Jaycee Foundation
- Former Member of Board of Directors, National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Former Member of Board of Directors, Birmingham Jewish Day School
- Former Faculty Member, Alabama Department of Insurance, Worker’s Compensation Division, Continuing Education Seminars